The Free and Open Indo-Pacific is a strategy that envisages a geo-economic role for each stakeholder in the region. This paper has examined the various approaches that the countries have been taking to assert their geopolitical gravity in the Indo-Pacific region. Moreover, there are several geo-economic enablers and their associated challenges and potential which have been discussed in the paper. These enablers viz. defence cooperation, diversification, joint patrolling, global value chains, small and medium enterprises, etc. require enough policy space. They will help bring a strategic depth in the relationship between India and Vietnam. Also, there are other key instruments like business-to-business (B2B) meetings, further liberalization of Mode-4, people-to-people contact and other confidence building measures that can strengthen bilateral cooperation and help leverage mutual geo-economic benefits.
- Ahmed, F and Singh, V (2016), ‘Financial Integration among RCEP (ASEAN + 6) Economies: Evidences from Stock and Forex Markets’, South Asian Journal of Management, Vol. 23, No.1 pp. 164-188.
- Alam M I (2015), Indo-Asian Trade Relations: An Analysis, Journal of International Economics, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp.73-106.
- Bajpaee C (2017), Dephasing India’s Look East/Act East Policy, Contemporary Southeast Asia, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 348–72.
- Brewster D (2013), India’s Defense Strategy and the India-ASEAN Relationship, India Review, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 151-164.
- Chacko, P (2012), India and the Indo-Pacific: An Emerging Regional Vision, Indo-Pacific Governance Research Centre, Policy Briefs, Issue 5, November 2012.
- Chong, A and Wu, S (2018), ‘Indo-Pacific’ vs ‘Asia-Pacific’: Contending Visions? RSIS, Policy Brief No. 034, February 2018.
- Collin K S L (2013), ASEAN Perspectives on Naval Cooperation with India: Singapore and Vietnam, India Review, vol. 12, no. 3, 2013, pp. 186–206
- Das, A K (2013), India’s Defense-Related Agreements with ASEAN States: A Timeline, India Review, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 130-133.
- Das, R. U., Rishi, M. & Dubey, J. D. (2016), ‘ASEAN plus six and successful FTAs: Can India propel Intra-Industry trade flows?’ The Journal of Developing Areas, Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 40-57.
- Esteban M (2018), Europe in the face of a new privileged strategic scenario: The Indo-Pacific region, Expert Comment 15/2018 - 20/2/2018, Real Instituto, Elcano Royal Institute.
- Garge R (2016), The India-Japan strategic partnership: evolving synergy in the Indo-Pacific, Australian Journal of Maritime and Ocean Affairs, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 257–266.
- Garge R (2017), Maritime outreach as part of India’s ‘Act East’ policy, Australian Journal of Maritime and Ocean Affairs, 2017, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp.150-167.
- Grantz, D A (2016), ‘The TPP and RCEP: Mega-Trade Agreements for the Pacific Rim’, Arizona Journal of International and Comparative Law, Vol.33, No.1, pp. 57-70.
- Ha H T (2018), ASEAN in Australia’s Indo-Pacific Outlook, Perspective, issue: 2018 No. 24, ISSN 2335-6677.
- Hidayat, A. S. (2013), ‘ASEAN – India Strategic Partnership and design of future regional trading architecture’, Economic Research Center, Indonesian Institute of Sciences, pp. 1-13.
- Lee J & Lee L (2016), Japan–India Cooperation and Abe’s Democratic Security Diamond: Possibilities, Limitations and the View from Southeast Asia, Contemporary Southeast Asia Vol. 38, No. 2 (2016), pp. 284–308.
- Mathur, S. K., Arora, R. & Bhardwaj, M. (2016), ‘Relative Benefits/losses of India aligning with RCEP and BRICS countries under the conjecture of free trade area in goods’, ARTNeT Working Paper Series, no. 160, pp. 1-35.
- Nguyen T P T, Nghiem S H, Roca E & Sharma P (2016), Efficiency, innovation and competition: evidence from from Vietnam, China and India, Empirical Economics (2016) 51:1235–1259, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2016
- Pant, H V (2018), India and Vietnam: A “Strategic Partnership” in the making, RSIS, Policy Brief, April 2018.
- Prasad, N (2017), India, Japan, and the Indo-Pacific: Breaking Out of the Middle Power Status, Asia Pacific Bulletin, EastWestCenter.org/APB, Number 384 I June15, 2017.
- Raghurampatruni R (2012), Revealed Comparative Advantage: An Analysis for India and ASEAN, Sona Global Management Review, Vol. 6, No. 4.
- Scott D (2013), India’s Role in the South China Sea: Geopolitics and Geoeconomics in Play, India Review, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 51–69.
- Vu K & Asher M (2009), India-Vietnam: A Comparative Analysis of Economic Performance, International Journal of Business Insight and Transformation, October 08 - March 09
- Wignaraja, G. (2015) ‘India’s Economic Potential in Looking East’, Asia Pacific Bulletin, No. 300.
* Associate Professor and Chairman, International Business Area, FORE School of Management, New Delhi, India