of the first and the second conference on Vietnam-India Cooperation
and Overview of the papers for the International Scientific Conference
“Viet Nam, ASEAN - India Development Cooperation: Reality and Prospect”
Assoc. Prof. PhD. LE VAN TOAN
Director of Centre for Indian Studies, HCMA.
Your Excellency Prof. PhD, Ta Ngoc Tan, Member of the Executive Committee of the Communist Party of Viet Nam,
President of the Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics!
Your Excellency Mrs. Preeti Saran, Indian Ambassador to Viet Nam!
Your Excellency distinguished guests, representatives of Embassies in ASEAN to Viet Nam, Vietnamese and Indian scholars!
Over one year, under the direct instruction of Board of Directors in which the leading atomic is Prof. PhD Ta Ngoc Tan as Member of the Executive Committee of the Communist Party of Viet Nam - President of Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics, the Academy carried out a range of activities, noticeably scientific conference. Since May 2015, Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics has organized two scientific conferences specialized in Viet Nam – India relationship. The first scientific conference was “Viet Nam – India Development Cooperation on Economics”; the second conference was “Viet Nam – India Development Cooperation on Culture, Society, Education and Training.” 
The first scientific conference in May 2015 of topic “Viet Nam - India development cooperation on economics” received 38 papers by 50 Vietnamese and Indian scholars. Therein, 29 papers deeply analyzed economics and trade. The papers focused on the following contents:
- Aspects of India’s development policy in the first years of the Republic of Viet Nam as the 1950s, 1960s of 20thcentury; agriculture reformation, priority for development of industries, science and techniques, human resources training, liberalizing the economy, increase attraction to FDI from India in the past, current implementation of the policy and the new rule of Development Steering of the incumbent prime minister; achievements and limits of economic development, and learned lessons.
- The formation context of Look East Policy, and now Act East Policy, economic interests of this policy to India, to ASEAN Member States.
- Actual state, potent and prospects of Viet Nam - India development cooperation on economics and trade.
- Proposal of recommendations for enhancement of development cooperation for some specific domains such as tourism, textile.
- Proposal for research enhancement, approach on different aspects to interpret more deeply and more comprehensively policies and actual states of India in economic development; exploiting all advantages in economic cooperation development between India and Viet Nam, ASEAN and Asian – Pacific.
The second conference in June 2015 of topic “Viet Nam – India development cooperation on culture, society, education and training” received 75 papers of more than 100 Vietnamese and Indian authors. The conference focused on the following contents:
- To study on theory, philosophy, religion, ancient Indian, contemporary Indian and confirmed they are foundation for Indian culture to constitute and come to fruition.
- To analyze of political line, policy of culture development, implementation, actual state of Indian culture since 1950, in which Indian soft power is stressed, interactive relationship between soft power and hard power, democratic and impartial development between nations, religions. It is these matters created the diversification, the complication and the mystery of ancient and contemporary India.
- To meticulously survey effects of Indian culture to Viet Nam on many aspects such as religions, social custom, village custom, national custom, thoughts, spirituality, literature, arts, architecture, sculpture. To consent that Indian culture and Vietnamese culture are conquests of knowledge through peaceful method.
- To thoroughly analyze the historical context contemporary context inside and outside India, breakthroughs of the Indus river civilization and the Ganges river civilization, rooted reasons of social cultural exchange from tradition to modern time between the two countries, actual state, achievements, barriers, learned lessons, recommendations and solutions in promoting the Viet Nam – India development cooperation to a new height, corresponding with potent of Viet Nam and India.
About development cooperation on politics and diplomacy, there were 46 out of 123 papers of the first two conferences, which deeply discussed on reasons, actual state, and development achievements of Viet Nam – India loyal relationship. They spread from the foundation of late President Ho Chi Minh and Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, to the opening of Consulate in 1954, elevated to Embassy in 1972, then elevated to strategic partnership in 2007 and has been constantly reinforcing, developing to new heights until today. Authors at the conference reached a high consensus of affirming that achievements of today and tomorrow started from yesterday.
- To deeply analyze many aspects and to confirm that Viet Nam – India relation is lifelong traditional, loyal, blameless, was challenged through many vicissitudes of social and political incidents inside and outside the country, and was even more developed after more challenges.
- All authors consented that Viet Nam – India relation has been constantly developing, what we have achieved from the reality of mutual cooperation in various fields demonstrates quite a lot of breakthroughs, but remain far from the potential of both sides. Scholars proposed Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics, with their function and mission, need to organize more scientific forums for scientists to contribute their knowledge; to discuss multi-dimensionally, more deeply; to create more diverse recommendations and proposal to policymakers, help promote Viet Nam – India strategic partnership to a new height.
Your Excellency distinguished guests, and scientists!
In today Scientific Conference of topic “Viet Nam, ASEAN – India: Reality and Prospect” the Organizing Committee has received 122 papers of more than 130 domestic and foreign scholars. These papers were written either by individuals or by a group of authors. The papers sent to this conference focus on clearly interpreting following key contents of the conference:
(1) In regard to general matters:
There are 58 papers. These papers interpret in-depth matters in politics, diplomacy, defense, security.
- There are 04 papers to analyze the leading role of leaders, of the leading Party in promoting Viet Nam – India and Viet Nam, ASEAN – India development cooperation.
- There are 21 papers to approach many different aspects, interpret in-depth Viet Nam – India and Viet Nam, ASEAN – India development cooperation in politics and diplomacy.
- There are 13 papers to discuss in defense, security. Therein, they stress context of the times, domestic situations, bilateral status. Scholars believe that India need to more unite with Viet Nam and ASEAN in different areas, contribute to protect the peace and stability for every country, the region and the world.
- There are 13 papers to discuss on Look East – Act East policy of India and impacts of this policy on Viet Nam – India relationship and Viet Nam, ASEAN – India relationship, as well as the role of Viet Nam in the region, especially when Viet Nam undertakes the position as the Coordinating country of ASEAn – India relationship from August 2015 to August 2018.
- There are 02 papers to study on Bien Dong Sea, which plays an important geo-strategic role in Viet Nam, ASEAN – India cooperation and India in current Bien Dong Sea issue.
(2) Concerning the Viet Nam, ASEAN – India development cooperation on culture, society, education, training, science and technology:
The Organizing Committee received 41 papers.
- There are 17 papers to study on culture. They analyze in-depth reasons of exchange, cooperation, culture; roles and effects of politics in promoting cultural relations, achievements, raised issues which need solving, learned lessons in cultural development cooperation between India and Viet Nam, ASEAN; the role of diplomacy in general and Indian diplomatic culture to the definition of characteristics in a multi-polar world.
- There are 10 papers to discuss on religions and nations, which analyze in-depth policies and researches on Buddhism, other religions of India explored in Viet Nam, Buddhism inherited and developed in Viet Nam and ASEAN Member States.
- There are 11 papers to study on education, training, science and technology, literature. Therein, they interpret in-depth Indian culture and Indian literature teaching in Viet Nam; relations between education and economics in India, training linkages with India, actual state and trends of Viet Nam – India cooperation in science and technology.
- There are 03 papers to study on press and media, adolescent exchange, women exchange. Therein, they thoroughly analyze Indian experiences in the development of press and media market, Vietnamese women in the eyes of Indian women; ASEAN – India exchange program and suggestions in development cooperation.
(3) Concerning the Viet Nam, ASEAN – India on economics and trade:
The Organizing Committee has received 22 papers.
- There are 12 papers to discuss on development cooperation on economics. Therein, many of them discuss in-depth on economic reformation in India; actual state of Viet Nam – India and India – ASEAN economic cooperation in the first years of the 21st century; advantages and disadvantages, barriers, solutions to develop in the future.
- There are 07 papers to study on trade, which intensely analyze the actual state and prospects of Viet Nam – India trade relationship, impacts of ASEAN – India Trade in Goods Agreement on pioneering to approach Indian market; attraction to investments of India and prospects of Viet Nam – India investment cooperation.
- There are 02 papers to discuss on enterprise cooperation and agriculture cooperation. Therein, they examine prospects of small and medium enterprise market of Viet Nam of Viet Nam in cooperating with ASEAN and India; successful experiences in Indian agricultural reform and suggestions to Viet Nam.
- There is 01 paper to discuss on India – ASEAN energy cooperation in the first years of the 21st century; to survey potent in energy of every country, achievements in development cooperation and prospects in the future.
Your Excellency distinguished guests, and scientists!
The 122 papers of more than 130 scholars express their study opinion in all aspects surrounding the topic and the content of the conference. Besides, this scientific forum will assemble many leading ideas of leaders as well as exchanges and discussion of Excellencies, scientists.
Once again, I would like to express my sincere thanks to scientists, distinguished guests for your presence at this conference! I wish you all, distinguished guests and scientists, health and happiness! I wish the conference great success!
 The General Overview of the first and the second conference were printed in the summary record of the international scientific conference “Viet Nam, ASEAN - India: Reality and Prospect”.