About basic characteristics of Vietnamese culture, we must firstly confirm that Vietnamese culture has identifiable features of popular Vietnamese culture, or course there are unique and particular features. Basic characteristics are formed separately; they are concluded and developed from natural geographical conditions, historical conditions, political conditions, and the typical society of Viet Nam. So far, many scholars specializing in Vietnamese, Culture, and Vietnamese Culture have ideas in multi-dimensional features in Vietnamese culture. However, in combination, there are relatively common features including five cultural Vietnamese culture essence, which are reflected in the following 24 basic qualities:
- Firstly, the characteristic about village and community. This characteristic is evident is six qualities: (1) Solidarity; (2) Collectivity and morality; (3) Democracy; (4) Formality; (5) Patriotism; (6) Gratitude. Besides good qualities, there also appear consequences of “cultural property” and bad habits such as: relying habit, leveling routine, copycat, formality, talkativeness...
- Secondly, negative stress (Ying and Yang). There are seven good qualities manifested in the stressed characteristic: (1) Trend to enjoy steadiness; (2) Tolerance; (3) Sentiment; (4) Gender prejudice; (5) Penchant for poetry; (6) Patience; (7) Hospitality. Besides these good seven qualities, the stress on negative also forms bad disease: passive disease, dawdling disease, pettiness, lack of vision, xenophile...
- Thirdly, trend of harmony. There are four qualities of harmonious interaction: (1) Exemplary; (2) Deliberation; (3) Cheerfulness, optimism; (4) Practicality. There are also consequences of bad habits such as scruffy; Judge not, that ye be not judged; Bad compromise; Ambivalence, indecisiveness.
- Fourth, cohesiveness. Good expression of coherence is expressed in two possibilities: (1) The ability to cover well; (2) Ability to have good relations. The other side of this combination also creates adverse consequences, such as superficial habits, lack of depth; Reliance on relationships.
- Fifth, flexibility. Expressions of flexibility are shown in two qualities: (1) High adaptability; (2) Creativity. Flexibility sometimes also leads to negative consequences such as Carelessness; Lack of legal awareness; Cunning behavior.
In the synthesis of five basic characteristics of Vietnamese culture, we see the best core values are patriotism, national spirit, kindness, village and community, nicety.
Culture and characteristics of culture is not immutability. It is always moving, developing in conjunction with the variability of natural conditions and the development of human society. In the context of regional integration and globalization, changes in social context of inside and outside, the conflict between cultural values of agriculture – traditional rural and culture of industry -modern urban, along with capability to organize and innovating social management, convince us that the five basic characteristics of Vietnamese culture will be preserved and shift towards an increasing completeness. In recent years, many researchers have been focusing on researching and proposing many paths, many solutions to develop culture and Vietnamese people in the present and the future. Some theses have been published , especially the state these named KX.04-15/11-15 “The value system of Viet Nam in the period of industrialization, modernization and international integration”, of the key scientific program KX.04/11-15 “Scientific research on political theory in the 2011-2015 period” by Prof. PhD. Tran Ngoc Them as chairman. In this these, when discussing about cultural features of Viet Nam, the author proposed specific cultural transformation in Viet Nam to 2030 in the following directions:
- Feature 1: The village community feature should be turned into social feature.
- Feature 2: Stress on negative and trends of harmony should be turned into a positive-minded harmony.
- Feature 4: Cohesiveness should be turned into industrial manners.
- Feature 5: Flexibility should be turned into flexibility in principle. 
In the present and in the future, there will be many scientists to study this issue. And their proposals will be tested in real life, to serve a higher purpose of building a comprehensive developed Vietnamese culture background, towards truth, goodness, beauty; imbued with national spirit, humanity, democracy and science. Construction of culture really becomes a solid spiritual foundation of society, is an important endogenous strength to ensure sustainable development and firmly defend home country for the target of a strong country with rich people, democracy, fair and civilized./.
1. Karl Marx. "Critique of Political Economy Study", T3 (1857-1859), People's Publishing House. 1963.
2. Tran Quoc Vuong. Vietnam Culture - Seek and Ponder, National Culture Publishing House. Arts and culture magazine. Hanoi, 2000, Pg.56-77.
3. The Communist Party of Viet Nam. Resolution of the Fifth Central Committee Lock VIII. National Politics Publishing House. Hanoi, 1998.
4. The Communist Party of Viet Nam. Resolution of the 9th National Congress. http://baodientuchinhphu.vn
5. Phan Ngoc. Vietnam culture and New approaches. Culture and Information Publishing House. Hanoi, 1994.
6. Tran Ngoc Them. Some Issues about Vietnamese values in the Current period. National University Publishing House in Ho Chi Minh City. 2015.
7. Duong Phu Hiep. The rationale and methodology of cultural studies and people of Vietnam. National Politics Publishing House, Hanoi, 2012.
8. Tran Van Giau. Traditional spiritual values of the People of Vietnam. National Politics Publishing House. Hanoi, 2011.
Translated by: Dang Hong Nhung
 Tran Ngoc Them (chairman). Some Issues in Viet Nam Value System in Present Period. National University in Ho Chi Minh Publishing House. 2015.